SIDE GALLERY CO-ORDINATOR
4 days pw
As part of a wider process of restructuring, Amber seeks to appoint a Co-ordinator as part of the Side Gallery team. It is expected that this post will be on a PAYE basis with remuneration on the basis of Amber’s equal PAYE waged rate of £125 per day (£26,000 per annum for 4 days per week), before deductions for tax, NI and employee pension contributions. Amber employees are automatically enlisted in a statutory workplace pension scheme administered by the National Employment Savings Trust.
There is flexibility in the scheduling regular days within the working week of Monday to Friday. There is occasional need for weekend work, for which time off in lieu can be taken. The post will be based at Amber/Side Gallery’s premises on Newcastle’s Quayside: 5-9 Side, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3JE. The post is subject to a 6 month probation period
Amber operates an equal opportunities policy.
About Amber / Side Gallery
Amber Film & Photography Collective came together in 1968 and moved to North East England the following year. It has documented the lives and landscapes of the region’s working class and marginalised communities ever since. In 1977 it opened Side Gallery, a venue dedicated to showing the best in humanist documentary photography. The AmberSide Collection holds over 20,000 photographs and 100 films. It has grown out of the work the group has produced, commissioned, supported and shown over the past 50 years.
With the support of Heritage Lottery Fund and Arts Council England, since 2015, the group has redeveloped the gallery, enhancing exhibition spaces and improving accessibility. It has redeveloped the collection housing and its website; developed a participative education programme delivering projects with schools and community groups in the North East; embarked on long term programme of conservation and digital access to the collection. AmberSide Trust was established in 2015 to take stewardship of the collection and support the work of Side Gallery & Cinema, the collection, access and engagement.
From April 2018, Amber Film & Photography Collective will be an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation. Resources are available for the development of fundraising activity around the needs and ambitions of the gallery and collection programmes.
As a new post, Amber is looking to appoint a Co-ordinator for the activity of Side Gallery and the AmberSide Collection. The person appointed will be a member of the Gallery Team and will draw on the resources of that team, AmberSide Trust and a volunteer programme actively engaged in the work of the gallery, the collection and social media. In its business plan for the period 2018 to 2022, Amber has also identified resources to support on-going fundraising development.
The Side Gallery Co-ordinator will take responsibility for the co-ordination of:
• Side Gallery’s Front of House coverage and sales operation;
• The scheduling of activity for exhibitions, events, marketing & communications;
• The scheduling of activity related to the development of fundraising and the delivery on funding agreements;
• Budgeting and reporting, including data gathering and evaluation;
• Internal and external communication;
• Premises management;
• Engagement with major funders and partner organisations.
As part of the gallery team and in consultation with them, the Co-ordinator will share in the delivery of these areas of activity and the development of fundraising approaches associated with Side Gallery’s work. S/he will contribute to the discussion and planning of gallery and collection-based activity; undertake such other responsibilities as are jointly identified with the team as being to the benefit of Amber/Side Gallery.
Subsequent to appointment, the Co-ordinator will be involved in the appointment of a part-time Financial Administrator.
The successful applicant will need to have:
• Awareness, understanding and experience of/in the arts and heritage sector;
• Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to identify and introduce systems, which will bring efficiencies in workflow, budget management and communication;
• Writing, numeracy and computer skills appropriate to the identified areas of activity;
• Awareness, understanding and practical experience of software packages appropriate to delivery and increased efficiency in the identified areas of activity;
• Self-motivation, strong collaborative skills and the ability to engage well with the public.
It is desirable that the successful applicant should have:
• Interest and experience in photography, documentary and/or relevant art form practice;
• Experience of project reporting.
Please write a letter of application, identifying relevant experience and skills, as well as outlining why you are interested in the post. This should be accompanied by a CV and contact details. The names and contact details for two referees should be supplied. These should be sent to:
Side Gallery Co-ordinator Post
Amber Film & Photography Collective
Newcastle upon Tyne
or emailed to:
PLEASE NOTE: Emails should have Side Gallery Co-ordinator in the Subject box.
Closing date for applications: Friday 9th March 2018