SIDE Gallery will reopen on Wednesday 19th May from 11am and will be open Wednesdays- Sundays, 11-5pm. SIDE Gallery is still free to access, however visitors need to book tickets via Art Tickets so that we can ensure social distancing and keep staff and visitors safe.
Those visiting us will see the Tom Stoddart exhibition ‘Extraordinary Women’. Born and raised in the North East, Tom has travelled the world producing powerful photo-essays on the serious issues of our time, including the fall of the Berlin Wall, the election of President Nelson Mandela, the bloody siege of Sarajevo and the wars against Saddam Hussein in Iraq. His photojournalism appears regularly in leading publications and has been honoured with awards from World Press Photo, Visa pour l’image, Pictures Of The Year and the Eddie Adams Workshop. In 2006 he was awarded an Honorary Fellowship by the Royal Photographic Society.
To mark Tom’s 50 years in the industry, the exhibition and accompanying book features both familiar and less well known photographs.
This exhibition was prematurely closed in November 2020 and Side are grateful for the opportunity to extend the run until June 26th. Tom talks about his experiences as a photojournalist.
As you might expect things will be different. The health and safety of our visitors and staff is of utmost importance.
SIDE Gallery will have safety measures in line with current government guidance:
• To allow for additional cleaning, our opening times are 11-5pm, with the last entry from 4pm.
• To help everyone enjoy the gallery, you will need to book a FREE 1 hour time slot via the above Art Tickets link, or you can visit the Amber website to find out more and book tickets
• For the time being, we will be limiting the number of visitors inside the venue to 6 people per time slot at one time.
• When you visit, you will need to wear a face covering to protect you and those around you.
• When you enter you should use the NHS Covid-19 app to check into the venue, we have a QR code for you to scan for ease
• We ask that everyone keep 2m social distance from others, uses the hand sanitiser provided and follows the clearly marked one-way routes.
• Our shop will be open and we will only be accepting card and contactless payments to minimise touchpoints.
• Members of our team will be on hand to manage the flow of visitors and to provide any information or support you need.
• Most importantly if you or anyone else you live with displays symptoms associated with COVID-19 please postpone your visit and stay at home.
To find out more information about the (off)Side Cinema programme, head over to the SIDE Cinema page
We can’t wait to see you again.